The Mission of San Luis Obispo de Tolosa is a little under two miles away from the Lexington Inn. There you can view the historic Mission, including its museum and beautiful architecture. It was the first mission within the native Chumash territory, and the neophytes at the mission were called “Obispeño.” The whole site is rife with history, and it’s still used for church services today.
The Mission was founded by Father Junipero Serra in 1772. It was the fifth of the twenty-one missions construction in California, and as a mission it was active for sixty-three years. However, as a church, it has been in service for over two hundred years as the Central Parish Church of San Luis Obispo. It now serves over two thousand families within the community, holding many sacraments, including baptism, confirmation, reconciliation, the anointing of the sick, and matrimony.
The patron saint of the mission is Saint Louis, a Bishop of Toulouse, France. Louis was the son of Charles II of Anjou, the King of Naples. After being held hostage in Spain, Louis grew very close with the Franciscan friars there. Following his release, he joined the Order of Friars Minor, and was later consecrated Bishop of Toulouse. He tragically died at the young age of 23, due to the disease that ran rampant in the area.
For more information about the Mission of San Luis Obispo de Tolosa, please visit their website here.